Established in the 1800’s as a rest stop and supply station for miners heading to the Fraser Canyon gold rush, 100 Mile House obtained its name due to its distance from the town of Lillooet which was considered to be mile zero by the gold rushers. Here are ten additional facts about the town:
- It was originally named ‘Bridge Creek House’ after the creek which runs through the area.
- Its name changed to 100 Mile House during the Cariboo Gold rush during which time (in 1862) a roadhouse was built in the area to mark 100 miles up the Old Cariboo Road.
- During its original function at the time of the gold rush, it was really just a collection of buildings owned by a man named Thomas Miller rather than an actual town.
- In the 1900’s logging was introduced to the area which provided a more stable industry, allowing the town to begin taking form.
- Shortly after this, during the 1930’s, Lord Martin Cecil left England and arrived in 100 Mile House to manage the estate there which was owned by his father, the 5th Marquees of Exter.
- This estate was actually a short distance outside of the town itself and had its own train stop on the Pacific Great Eastern Railway which ran through the area.
- Even at this time, the ‘town’ as it was consisted of only 5 public buildings; a road house, a post office, a general store, a telegraph office, and a power plant with a total population of 12 people
- Reducing this even further, the original road house burnt down in 1937.
- Over time ranches were established on the plateau near the town center.
- One of these ranches, the Gang Ranch, is one of the largest ranches in the world.
Today, 100 Mile House has a population of approximately 2,000 people and is a retail and service center for the Southern Cariboo area. In addition to the services this town provides to the surrounding area, it is also a popular tourist destination with people who enjoy the outdoors with swimming, fishing, horseback riding, bird watching skiing, and golfing all being available in the surrounding area.